Thursday, July 27, 2017

Forest, Ms; You can't go home again.

Never read Thomas Wolfe, but I sure feel the title of his novel fits when I speak about this next topic. A few weeks ago when traveling across the great state of Mississippi I had the chance to stop by my hometown of Forest, Ms. Located 45 minutes east of Jackson, right there off I-20.

I'd been a few years since my last trip and I wanted to see the place again. I try to see it every chance I get. I know how things change over time and every time I'm a little sad to see what's gone away.

But on this last visit it hit a little deeper than the others. I went by my old school, which isn't a school anymore and hasn't been since we left. The school shut down the next year. It hasn't been bull dozed and it's not a Quikie Mart or anythings like that. It's just abandoned.

Through the years I've visited it, I've seen plants slowly take over the main hall where the lunch room was. Our playground looked older and worn out but this last time I visited it was just gone.

Not the buildings, they're still there. And though I couldn't get a good look in the buildings, there may be some stuff from my old school still locked up in there. But it was the playground that was gone.

The fence (that was erected after I left from the last tenant) was still there. Overgrown with vines and young thin trees it looked like something out of a movie. Seriously, like a secret lay long buried within the gate. Sawed off stumps where the massive beams were that held the giant playground were the only thing that remained. The was also an iron fixture sticking up from the ground where the marry-go-round used to be, all rusted and twisted to the left.

The only familiar things were the gravel found in various areas that was poured back when the new playground was originally built. It's hard to believe more than 25 years have passed since I was playing on that very same ground.

Inside the dining hall are chairs and tables that look like they came straight from grandma's kitchen, all set with nothing on them, which told me someone was still using it (or had in the past few months) but it was hard to figure out for what. Vines and Ivy creep along the sides, trying to pass unnoticed through time as they slowly encroach around the building.

The play yard looked the same, meaning ant hills and dirt daubers still inhabit it. The chain link fence from a neighboring yard it gone, it's garden and pear-shaped hand made bird houses along with it. The only familiar thing in the play yard now is a lone pole for tether ball, which I used to constantly play at recess. Due to my height, I was pretty good at it too.

I walked around the play ground, watching my step for fear of hitting a dauber nest or anthill. I remember the first day of school doing the same thing as well before our teachers went out there and sprayed. It never got rid of either of them but it helped. I remember a friend of mine named Charlie in school who was stung so bad by daubers his mom had to pick him up on the first day.

I remember played Farmer in the Dell, Red Rover, Colored Eggs, Freeze Tag, Sharks in the Water and a million school yard games on that field alone. It was also where my Dad held the first few Santa Bowl's back in the 80's. Lot of memories on that field.

I wish my brothers could have been there with me to see it. I wish even more I'd taken pictures of it. So wild to think of what used to be than what is currently at this spot.

I can't say I won't go back again. If I get the chance and I'm with other family members, I would be inclined to go. But by myself to reminisce alone? I'm not sure.    

No comments: