Sunday, February 10, 2013

Do you remember TG&Y?

Remember back in the day listening to our parents talk to other parents about the "good ole days" well dang, now I'm talking that way now.

TG&Y was my store as a kid. I loved their toy selection and would stay in it the whole time until Mom came to pick us back up. (don't worry she was in the store)

I was bummed when they eventually closed down in our small town of Forest, MS but that was back in the day when Wal-Mart had just moved in and I guess it was destined to happen. Though I'll have to check on Mom about this but I think TG&Y and just a good deals on their stuff as TG&Y did!

2 stories from my childhood revolve around this store, the most popular one was the time I thought Mom had left me at the store and driven home. TG&Y was a straight shot from our house so I just walked home. Turns out Mom was still at the store panicking that she couldn't find me. Dad on a hunch drove to the house and found me waiting outside wondering how on earth I'd beat Mom home when she had the car.

The other was the time she had to pick up something real quick and left us in the car as she went in. Under strict instructions we were NOT to leave the car. It was a hot day and the car started getting uncomfortable, Jeremy got out and walked around while I stayed in like an obedient child should do.

Mom came back and rewarded me with some hot dog shaped bubble gum (which I LOVED) and when we got home rewarded Jeremy with a spanking for getting out of the car.

See you tomorrow folks! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved TG&Y stores, I also have some fond memories that took place there. One, was the first time I was able to find a Super Powers Batman figure. It was the one, and only time I ever threw a fit in public. Man did my butt get a beating when we got home. Apparently my parents had bought me Batman and a bunch of others for my birthday that was coming up, hence why they said I couldn't get Batman in the stores.

I was sad to see that after a while TG&Y became a Big Lots style close out store, and then just went away for good after that. I always preferred it to Walmart.

Did you guys ever have Venture stores? I loved those too growing up.