Saturday, October 08, 2011

Top 10 worst Star Wars Books Ever Made

This has been a long time coming. I'm finally going to countdown the worst Star Wars books ever. I've seen lots of folks make this sort of list but none of them have ever gotten it right. So here goes:

10) Dark Forces



To be honest, this one really isn't that bad I just needed 10 books and considering this series it wasn't that great. Based of the video game this book FELT like it too. There's a series of "dark jedi" and just like levels in a video game, every other chapter has Kyle Katarn fighting another dark jedi which feels too much like the "Level Boss" before advancing to the next round. I almost felt like he deserved to find a mushroom or coin after defeating them

9) Planet of Twilight



I like the author Barbara Hambly a lot, but she missed the target on this one. To sum it off it was about a alien worm that had "evolved" into a human-like being and was trying to get off planet to rule the galaxy. Yeah. The other problem with this was at the time Luke Skywalker's character was getting so powerful that authors were having a hard time figuring out how to dampen his force ability. Hambly strikes out again when she puts him on this planet where using the Force creates a powerful storm that could harm the residents. Yeah, not good writing at all.

8) Red Harvest



I was so stoked for this to come out but when I read about zombie sith kids, a mad professor who started it and a sith academy that has "good" and "bad" sith you're cheering for you kinda forget they're all bad and you really don't care anymore. This plot sounds like something out of a Michael Bay film so if you enjoyed Transformers 2 and you like Star Wars you'll love this book.


7) Crystal Star



A star that has so odd affect on the Force that it makes Luke act like a weirdo, an unexplained alien creature from another dimension and a pointless kidnapping of Han and Leia's kids that have them met up with some kind of space centaur?! Yeah, I don't get it either, which is why it's #7

6) Coruscant Nights



Not only was this story about a Jedi detective bad (yes I said Jedi detective) but it never finished?!? Oh but don't worry, they announced the last book will be out in 2013...7 years after the last book was released????

5) Coruscant Nights



This 2 part series (Stealth and Siege) was about Obi Wan and Anikin in the clone wars.... and that was about it. There's no doubt this book was made only to grab cash from the consumer. There's no story, no arc and after you're done you wonder why you even bothered to take the time to read it. Pointless.

4)Tattooine Ghost



Now these books are starting to look ugly. This author saw Episode One and decided to make a story about Han and Leia returning to Tattooine to look for a painting (I'm not joking here) but they also end up discovering about little Annie and meet up with a few of his childhood friends that are now all grown up. The author should have looked at the story plot and run away... screaming.

3) Shatterpoint



Matthew Stover creates a writer foul by formatting his story after all the fan fiction out there. The use of first person narration has been worn out in fan fiction. Everyone does it. Even today, which is why I don't like many fan fiction stories. It's a complete cop out for story telling and Stover does it here. C'mon man, you're better than this. Leave the "dear diary" moments to the novices.

2) Imperial Commando/Republic Commando



Karen Travis' story about rouge clone troopers was not only awful but was cancelled by Lucas for not conforming to Star Wars cannon. She tried kissing butt of Star Wars fans, via blogs and chat rooms but overall she was a terrible author and I'm glad to see her gone!

1) I, Jedi



The WORST Star Wars book out their hands down. Stackpole forces his character into Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy story which felt like Lucas trying to force Jar Jar into the original trilogy. (don't get any ideas George) Not only is this a terrible book but the author tries to make his character seem like the best Jedi in the universe. Not only does he outsmart Luke but he's smarter than anyone in the whole academy, oh and he beats Luke in a lightsaber battle where Skywalker ends up having cowing to the Jedi students demands... yeah, I kept waiting to see if anyone was going to wake this character up from his dream!

Believe it or not, I've actually seen this book on folks "Best Star Wars Book" list. INCREDIBLE!What does that tell you about the average SW fan out there? Yikes!

Tomorrow I'll do the top ten best Star Wars books so stay tuned...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I consider "The New Rebellion" THE WORST. It basically killed my want to read Star Wars novels.

Mario said...

I'm currently reading Crosscurrent and Riptide by Paul S. Kemp and for me, those are the worst Star Wars book I've ever read. Stay away from them.

kidcardco said...

New Rebellion was part of a Brakiss story arc so I didn't mind it as much...plus the author for that was HOT!

Paul S Kemp's books are lacking but I still feel the top 9 books listed here are worse.

Mark said...

I, Jedi would a good book. It's not a great book because having to squeeze it into the horribly substandard Jedi Academy Trilogy. Being first person instead of three person that the majority of other Star Wars books gave it kind of a film noir feeling. Corran beats Luke in a duel and only because the latter is distracted with all that's going on. And that's less believable then say a raw teen trainee and a Sith ghost beating look so bad that they disembody his force spirit isn't? That all the Jedi trainees holding hands and first driving the ghost away, then in a later book a whole Imperial fleet is better? No, I, Jedi is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT on the Jedi Academy material it's based.

I don't read a lot, or any fanfic so I don't find it tedious.

Unknown said...

I actually enjoyed the republic commando books, they're some of my favorite books. I agree with the rest though (especially Shatterpoint).

Unknown said...

I agree with every book in this list, especially Crystal Star, I had to force myself to even finish it. However, I actually quite enjoied the "Coriscant knights" trilogy by Michael Reaves, I thought it was one of the better Star Wars trilogies out their. I feel like to many Star Wars books focus on space battles and not the characters and the worlds and Coriscant Knights did that for me.

Unknown said...

The republican commando books are amazing.

Unknown said...

The Republic commando novels are amazing. What a great story about how the clones were treated and how they became family. It’s a shame this story line never received a proper ending.

Anonymous said...

Fuck you you filthy ot fanboys Lucas basher thank god your eu god killed you bet male fag

Unknown said...

I tried reading the 501st book and I just couldn't get into it. It just seems all a jumbled mess. I'm trying to get through Tatooine Ghost. It's ok.

Unknown said...

Don't let it sour you. There are better books. I promise.

Unknown said...

Speak English