Monday, March 02, 2009

Best of the West!!

You can't talk about Westerns without mentioning this one first. Tombstone is by far one of my top 5 favorite westerns of all time. Let's face it folks, Val Kilmore was at his best in this flick!
We move on to the "oldies" because that's when this movies were in their glory days. There are COUNTLESS John Wayne films to mention and this is just one of them. I'm sure "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" plus a few more could be placed in this catagory.
But this is a MUST see for everyone. The Magnificent Seven is STILL an unbelievably good movie and actually was one of the first ones that came to my head when writing this post!
Now I don't know if a "TV Special" counts but Lonesome Dove was just as good as any of the above listed so far. I remember my roommate (Clay) dragging me to Blockbuster to rent it and I was SO against watching it at the time. Now? It's one of my top 3 best westerns!! (behind Tombstone and above Magnificent 7)




Now lets drift off into comedy here for a second. Blazing Saddles and Shanghai Noon should be the best of the comedic west! Funny, funny movies indeed!

Before we go I leave you with a few westerns I never want mentioned on my blog:

1) Fievel Goes West
2) Wild Wild West (Will Smith)
3) Brokeback Mountain 
4) Jesse James meets Frankenstiens Daughter (yes they actually made the flick!)

7 comments:

pard1959 said...

I'll be your huckleberry!

The Magnificent Seven was a remake of a legendary Japanese film, The Seven Samurai. I recommend you rent it someday and watch it. Warning: subtitles! After you watch it though, you'll think that the Mag 7 was ripping the Japanese version off.

Shanghai Noon...YES!!! "Uno Mas!"

Blazing Saddles...YES!!! "They said you was hung." "And they was right."

MajorLamont said...

Why Ike? Whatever do you mean?

I also love Shanghai Noon and Blazing Saddles is one of the funniest movies ever made.

My additions here:

1) Unforgiven - Without a doubt, the best Western I've ever seen. Clint at his best and the ending always makes me cheer for more.

2) The Proposition - Thank you Mark for this suggestion. A great movie.

3) 3:10 to Yuma - The newer one. I never saw the old one but the new one is pretty darn good.

4) Open Range/Appaloosa - both of these were better than I thought they would be and worth a watch.

5) Young Guns - Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

yeah, I have to agree with Mikey on this one. I was also going to say what about Open Range and Young Guns?! Both great movies. I do agree with you...Tombstone is probably THE best one. And Val Kilmer did a GREAT job in it.

Meg

Kimber said...

ooo I liked this one. Lonesome Dove is one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. I used to watch it literally like once a week. And that's saying something because you know how long it is!
Tombstone is also one of my favorite movies of all time. I could quote both of these!
Blazing Saddles I also LOVE!!

kidcardco said...

Unforgiven. Ok. But not the best.

As for the rest of them... I never saw them so... who knows?!

Anonymous said...

I CAN NOT believe you have never seen open range and young guns!!! Those will be the next movies we watch!

Meg

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Tombstone is definitely my favorite. I also like Lonesome Dove.