Monday, March 30, 2009

Best martial arts movies

Ok, time to talk ka-ra-te!!! This is a list of a few martial arts films, you've simply got to see. (Yes, Kung-Fu Panda was good) Moving on....
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon "re-made" the typical martial arts movie. We saw action like never before and though the same camera and special effects have made many a good film since, this one will always stand out in my mind as the one that started it all!
I'm naming Bruce Lee movies in here but I have to be honest I can't pick a favorite. They all kinda rambled on into the same movie. But no doubt about it, he kept the genre alive for years in the US. (well that and the TV Series "Kung-Fu")
But my man JACKIE CHAN beats them all! Coming to America with his first film "Rumble in the Bronx" he took off as a big star at the box office! I've seen almost all his films (old and new) and the majority of them are all hits! 
And now for a taste of things to come... Tont Jaa will rock your socks off. Ong Bak is just one of his greats. The man does amazing things that have you thinking "young Jackie Chan" all the way through! I remember watching this for the first time with Jordan and our mouths had dropped at the stunts he did. Simply amazing. 

FYI- In his movie "The Protector" Tony Jaa bumps into Jackie Chan in an airport. Jackie turns and gives him a bow acknowledging  him as the next "martial arts" star in showbiz. I LOVED IT!!
Now we get to the goodies... Karate Kid. What guy didn't think Elizabeth Shoe was the hottest girl in the world when they watched this. I remember thinking the same thing until a few years back when I saw the series again and went "What? What?!" OK, not so hot after all are we Liz?

Karate Kid 2- So-so

Karate Kid 3- Terrible acting but enjoyable to watch none the less.

The Next Karate Kid- Tore my eyes out and waited for them to grow back. This one's ugly folks. If you haven't yet seen it.... don't.  
And finally we come to the greatest of them all... KUNG-FU HUSTLE. This one's well worth your time. I'll you'll note a few years back I gave a review about this movie and how awesome it was. I'll try to find exactly when that post was but I'll say it again... you must see this flick! 

Look at that poster! COME ON!! Dude's holding an axe in one hand and lollipop in the other, what more could you ask for!!

Honorable Mention- Mortal Kombat. Yeah it was good when it came out. But how does it look today?

Please don't mention: 

1) Chuck Norris- Yes, this new campaign about Chuck Norris is hilarious but seriously... off hand how many movie titles can you remember from this guy? NONE. I know. I did the same thing. Walker Texas Ranger is who he'll be known for, not the karate outfit with the red headband.

2) Old Kung-Fu movies- They used to play last night on TV all the time but all people ever did was make a drinking game out of them. Nothing more.

3) Jet Li- This no talent hack has no respect from me. He cashed in on america giving them over the top movies and stupid story plots. He said he's retired from making these films. Good. Now leave my country CHOP CHOP!

4) American Ninja- You remember this one. We all saw it back in the day. And without watching it again we all know how cheesy it truly was.

No comments: