Thursday, March 19, 2015

Pensacon Review

Since this has become my "Pensacon Post" week, I thought I'd go ahead and give my grade on the con overall:

Vendors: 1

Nothing new, nothing unique, nothing but the bland same things you can find anywhere else. When I look at vendors I look to see if they have something that impresses me, is unique and is a good deal. These vendors struck out on all accounts.

This con featured SEVERAL Power Rangers and yet the vendors obviously didn't know who their audience was. Hardly any Power Ranger stuff could be found and we were on the floor looking for some the first day!

I couldn't believe how detached the vendors were not to come to a con with a significant amount of merchandise that coincided with the celebrity guest. Nothing was a head turner on the floor and all of it was overpriced. FAIL

Staff: 2

I felt bad for them. It wasn't their fault more the venue being too small but it doesn't mean they couldn't have seen it coming.

Sure Friday went smooth but when the flood gates opened on Saturday morning the place turned in to a zoo. The staff (while friendly) was overwhelmed by the amount of traffic. Hopefully next year they'll move it to a new venue for a more manageable con.

Cosplay: 2

Folks were dressed up here and there and overall it wasn't that bad. Their was a wookie that impressed me and it seemed a good many made he effort to come dressed up which I can appreciate. It's no Dragoncon but then again, what is?!

Overall Score: 5

I hate to give it such a low score, but bad vending tables really hurt it's score. If you want to check it out next year it's worth your time ONLY if they change the venue. If they're still at the same place next year AVOID AT ALL COST!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What venue would you suggest? Also, the Bay Center was not the only venue - the Crowne Plaza and Saenger Theater were also hosting panels and events, but for some reason, the vendor floor was all people could figure out to visit despite an app, foldout, signs, info booths and more...