Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Curious Case of Mr Toad



Remember the Mr Toad ride at Disney World?

It was one of my favorite rides when I went as a kid. During our honeymoon I remember getting all excited telling Megan all about it only to discover they replaced it with a Winnie the Pooh ride.

Mr Toad came from the novel "The Wind and the Willows" I loved the book as a kid and was excited to see it had a ride. After returning from our honeymoon I looked up why it was closed.

The one in Disney Land's still open but Disney World closed theirs in the mid-90's much to the public's outrage. But to help "soften" the blow, Disney added a picture right at the begining of the Pooh ride to the left showing Mr Toad handing the deed of the building over to Owl.
Also in the Haunted Mansion's pet cemetery lies the old statue of Mr Toad from the ride.

Now I didn't know about this until last week and we won't be going back to Disney World for at least another 2 years but you can bet that the next time I do I'll be looking out for this!


No comments: