Monday, April 22, 2013

Of Lando




So I’m reading in the news this week that Billy Dee Williams is upset he’s not been asked to be in the new Star Wars movies. So instead of keeping a respectful silence on the issue (as Anthony Daniels is doing) he’s decided to bring his gripe to the fans by asking them to bug Lucasfilm and Disney about “demanding” Lando be in the new movies.


First off, let me state I’m a Lando fan and one of the only things that bug me about the expanded universe is the lack of stories involving Lando. He’s rarely used in the books.

But for Billy Dee to do this just reeks of “homeless man desperate” Of course he wants to be in Star Wars, who doesn’t? It would boost his morbid career and maybe bring more offers to his agents table (which has likely been collecting dust since 1989’s Batman) But is Billy Dee (the actor) endearing enough to generate support? Let’s talk about this.



In the summer of 2005 I met the Colt 45 spokesman at the San Diego Comic Con, looking at this picture describes perfectly how he felt. I wouldn’t go as far as to say he was rude to the fans, but he sure wasn’t enthusiastic about meeting them either. I think Billy Dee cares more for his dismal career than Star Wars and the message he’s sending out to his fans is proof.

That being said, they should go ahead and put him in the movie too. I mean, come on! How many brothers have there been in the films so far?! The return of Lando should be as welcome to Disney as a fan request to see Frog Princess 2!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At least he actively wants to be in the movies, I don't get that vibe from Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford, to them it's just a huge paycheck.

I'd have Lando woo Leia away from Han as payback for losing the Falcon all those years ago. Make Lando some osrt of high general or something, and its all good.

kidcardco said...

If only they'd let us write this eh? Movie would make a billion over of the weekend!