Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Skills I wish I had

There comes a time when you wish you could just "do it yourself" and though in these days with YouTube and other online content, a lot of people are more easily handling issues that they normaly couldn't fix on their own. But not me.

It seems like every time my issue is the "exception" to the basic fix and I end up having to bring in an expert to do the job. So today I thought I'd mention a few trades I wish I had under my belt!

 Electrician

Recently I had an entire wire and outlet blow out that I had no idea how to fix so I hired someone to take care of it for me. I can replace light switches, screw in light bulbs and even installed a light fixture once but I wish I knew more.

 Gardener

My neighbor's a really good one. His yard looks amazing and he's growing fruit and veggies in his back yard as well. He even has a banana tree.....yeah, he's growing FREAKING BANANAS in his back yard! I wish I was that talented out side. I know how to mow, trim the hedges and spread weed and feed in my front lawn...that's about it.

 Handyman

After all that, I still wish I knew more about how to fix things around the house. I have friends I use to show me how to fix the washing machine....which I took apart pretty well but had no idea how to put it back again. My friends have shown me roofing tips (which is why a have a big black tar patch on my roof that looks like the Tar Baby from Song of the South, melted on the spot. I even installed a garbage disposal but forgot to punch open one of the drainage pipes when I did and ended up with back wash from the washer soon afterwards. I really need better skills around the house.

 Mechanic

This would save me tons. I really envy those who know their cars. I don't know anyone with enough knowledge to teach me and I'm too old to start an apprenticeship with a local mechanic but back in the day I wish I did because it would have helped me tons in the past!

Plumber

Though I haven't had many problems with pipes I wish I knew more just in case something bad happens. Whenever I've had clogs around the house I've been able to resolve them easily but I know the day will come when I really wish I knew more. Hopefully it won't come anytime soon!

No comments: