Friday, December 05, 2014

Schoolyard games (2)

 Farmer in the Dell

The Cheese stands alone! Thinking back on it though, this game was all about picking favorites wasn't it? The guy would pick the cutest girl, she in turn a cute boy and back and forth until only the ugly or unpopular ones were left outside the circle. Our teacher always made us play in groups to where there was no one left out. Guess she didn't want to have children discovering their unpopularity within the school.

But after 15 straight picks  as the "Cheese" I think I got the picture.

Marbles

My goodness. Looking at this picture alone brings back so many memories! I don't even think kids today know what to do with marbles, do they?!

How many times did I draw a chalk circle on the sidewalk or driveway to play this game? I couldn't tell you but seeing this picture again, I'm tempted to play a round of marbles at this very moment!!

 Jump rope
Cinderella, dressed in yellow,
Went upstairs to kiss her fellow,
Made a mistake and kissed a snake,
How many doctors did it take,
1,2,3.....

Many a recess in my childhood was spent playing this game. I remember if someone got to 100 that was BIG. But it rarely happened at my school. Whoever held the record for "most jumps" in a school year, was treated like the quarterback at high school!

Even the people swinging the role felt like Scottie Pippin to your Michael Jordan feat!

Four Square

Never knew about this game until I moved to Louisiana. It was all the rage at our church that time. And MAN was it competitive! This replaced my love of tetherball as I now had new dreams of becoming a professional in the "sport"

I don't know when or why we eventually stopped playing. Maybe it happened over the winter and when never went back to it. Sad thing is today I don't see anyone playing it anymore.

Anyone up for a game?

Colored Eggs

I have no photo for this and am not really sure if it was a popular game or something we just made up in grade school but I thought I'd ask.

The game went like this; there was one "wolf" and the rest of the kids were bunched together as the "colored eggs" While the wolf stepped away each child would pick a color. When the game was ready to commence the wolf would approach and the dialogue was this:

Wolf: Knock, knock
Eggs: Who's there?
Wolf: Big Bad Wolf
Eggs: What cha want?
Wolf: Colored Eggs
Eggs: What color?

The wolf would then guess a color. If it was yours, you got up and ran around the school yard with the wolf chasing you. If you got caught, you became the wolf. If you didn't, the wolf had to guess again but he couldn't pick your color again.

I used to LOVE this game as a kid. Does anyone else remember it?

Ok, that's all for this week. Have a good one folks!

No comments: