Thursday, December 04, 2014

Schoolyard games (1)

Today I wanted to talk about old school yard games and see who remembers playing these as a kid.
 Simon Says

The game where you do something ONLY when Simon Says. The last one standing wins. I was pretty good at this game but was better calling out the orders. The trick was to say "Simon Says" a lot then throw in a quick order and see who messes up.

 Red light Green light

Where you run and stop and run and stop, depending on which light was called out. It basically boiled down to who was the fastest, which I remember was a girl in our old church in Mississippi. Seems like she always won.
 Freeze Tag

I'm happy to say that I still see this game being played by the kids in our church today! Where you "freeze" someone when they're tagged and only a player "unfrozen" can tag them and set them loose. The gem ends if the "freezer" is able to get everyone.

I remember that happening a few times too. A similar gem we would play was Sharks in the Water, where a group of kids would run past you from one end to the other and whoever you tagged became a "shark" too. The game ends when there's one remaining survivor or everyone h's been turned into a shark.

I remember seeing survivors when we played and looking back I release just how much of an amazing feat that was considering most people had turned to sharks at the end!
Red Rover

Red Rover, Red Rover send _____ on over! When your name got called you had to break through the oppositions line. If you didn't, you went to their team. If you did break thru you took one of them over to your side.

I used to love playing this game. I admit at times I got caught on purpose just to hold the hand of the cute girl in school.

I don't see this game played anymore.

More schoolyard games tomorrow!

No comments: