Monday, February 16, 2009

Horror Movies

This is too huge a topic to discuss. But I'll talk about as much as I can. First off, what IS the best best horror movie ever made? Well, when speaking of horror there are so many catagories to choose from it's hard to tell.

Are we talking "Slasher Films" here?! If so, Michael Myers has my vote of the 3 scream Kings shown above. The reason being is his was way more enjoyable and never got "campy" like the other two series did later on. Halloween actually shaped up to have a storyline that overall made sense through the series. (minus the non-Mike Myers story in Halloween 3) So I'd pick him.

But where does that leave me beloved "Scream" series?! True he is the epitome of "slasher" films but does he really have a catagory to be placed in?! It's an excellent story (all 3 movies) and we well written for every "scary movie" fan out there. Well done indeed.

So who else is there in "Horror" series movies. Well first off there's the Hellraiser series which (if you're the horror movie fan) I would suggest that these movies (though the last few came straight to DVD) were actually pretty good. I didn't have a picture a Pinhead to post so here's a picture of Megan whenever I make a mess inside the house.


Chucky's fine but get's goofier (and less scary) each time they make another one. I'm putting him in here so Mikey won't bring up his name.  

So what about the "old school" scary movies? Ok. 2 pop up in my head. The original Salem's Lot is EXCELLENT but please don't laugh at the "Master Vampire" with "buck-vampire teeth" and shaded blue skin. It's still a good flick. 

And what "Horror movie" talk is not complete until you mention "The Exorcist" Some would argue that it's still the scariest movie they've ever seen and I have to admit if I had a "Top Ten" for movies that gave me the heebie-jeebies this would be in the top 5. I mean.... just look at her... eeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeee.....
So let's cross over to the "funny scary" section. "Dead Alive" Peter Jackson's best film/ Ever. In fact, he should have stopped making movies after this one. Seriously. Don't be fooled by the cover folks, rent it, watch it and love it. It's a classic. 
And speaking of "classics" The "Evil Dead" trilogy directed by Spiderman's very own Sam Raimi is on everyone's list of classic "horror comedy". Evil Dead 2 was so loved by people that it's rumored James Cameron himself stopped production of Aliens just to go see the movie!

 "Shaun of the Dead" should get honorable mention as well but I just didn't have time to search for a pic.
Now let's talk about the 2 movies the almost made me poop my pants upon veiwing. I'm going to catch A LOT of flack on this one but I don't care. Blair Witch Project scared me so bad I was shaking after I left the theater. I remember looking at my brother Jeremy who said to me after walking out "Whoa. I'm so glad we saw that in the day and not at night." I had to agree. A movie with no soundtrack and a realistic situation (being lost in the woods) was scary enough for me!
But the number one movie to make me sleep with the lights on (no joke) was The Grudge. I saw this one with my 2 best freinds and we walked out wanting to cry. I was scared sensless after it. I wouldn't crawl up in an attic for MONTHS after this movie. And on the night I went to bed I had to turn the lights on. I was mad at myself for doing so but it was just too much.

I've actually thought of several other movies I should mention but I'll just hold them off till another time. Have a good one folks!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Shining is the scariest movie I've ever seen...don't know if it counts under Horror though.

--Melton

Anonymous said...

--Ok, first off, The picture of Michael Myers freaks me out. He is the "scariest" horror guy ever!!!
--Second, "pinhead" is not what I look like when I get mad(maybe when I wake up).
--And last...I can NOT believe you put the original "Salem's Lot" up on that list. I jumped once and fell asleep a little. Not scary...should be in the comedy section. (good though).

Megan

Kimber said...

Wow someone else FINALLY who was scared pantless by Blair Witch. Freaked me OUT. I had to watch it late at night out in Chatham, then drive home by myself through nothing but woods. It was not cool.
AND The Grudge was THE movie that has scared me the most out of any movie ever. I slept with the lamp on for a week after that. Tony and I had to go home and watch about 5 eps of family guy before sleeping. lol

Kimber said...

(regarding my grudge comment) well, besides the ring. especially since that one was the first to do the creepy slow crawling hair over the face thing that scares me so much.

kidcardco said...

True. The Ring should have been placed in there as well. Hmmm... I should do another follow up on this next week.

Anonymous said...

The Grudge was so scary I had to turn the lights on in a room by reaching around the corner for months. I came out of the theatre thinking I was going to be haunted to death just for watching it. The second was almost equally scary!

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with Melton. The Shining was push down one when the Grudge came out to the silver screen. It is the little things that get me most. Twin girls, three wheelers, blood, murder backwards. The "Why did they do that?" that just freaks out all logic.

Roger

Anonymous said...

I agree with Megan! I definitely slept through almost the entire Salem's Lot. And thus far The Ring is the scariest movie I have ever seen simply because I REFUSE to watch The Grudge. :)

-Lauren

Anonymous said...

Matt, I won't include last names so as to not embarrass these guys before your worldwide audience, but you will know who they are. We watched The Shining at our house one evening with Mr. Robert and Courtney. I can't remember which one of them had not ever seen it before, maybe both of them. Anyway, Mr. Robert's wife was out of town at the time, and Courtney was single then, and after the movie was over, they decided that Courtney would spend the night with Mr. Robert. They were both pretty rattled by that movie. I still laugh today when I think about that night. So funny!