Monday, January 19, 2009

Welcome to Movie Mondays!

Ok, let's try something new this week. Every Monday I'm going to review a few of my favorite movies of all time. This week we'll start with baseball. As many of you know, that's my favorite sport. And I love just about any baseball movie I see. But let me pick out the Top 5 that stick out in my mind. (in no order)

What a great movie. And what kid wouldn't enjoy this! It's how I played baseball for years.... in my own backyard. We were all superstars in our own minds but what memories we had! This movie captures them perfectly and also has legendary actor (and baseball fan himself), James Earl Jones in the movie as well!

I was shocked at how good this movie was. And since it's based off of a true (and quite amazing) story it makes it even better!


I love this movie. Seriously. It's good. Who's heart strings don't pull for the "over the hill" player trying to get one last taste of glory. And how epic is that final scene in the movie?! (I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it) But it's a MUST SEE for everyone!

Another shocker. 61. Telling the story of Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris when they went after the Babe's record of 60 homeruns in a season. This was also based on a true story and director (and huge baseball fan as well) Billy Crystal re-tells with such detail it truly is one amazing flick.





Last and not least, everyone knows about this one. Feild of Dreams. But why is it loved by both fans and non-fans of the game? I think it's the mysterious story combined with GREAT music and actors that gives this movie the warm feeling we get when watching it. No doubt about it though. It's a classic!
We'll do more next week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you forgot one of the best base ball films of all time. "It Happens Every Spring" is not only a wonderful family movie that is sure to have you rolling on the floor, it is also the best movie to come out of the 40's. Ray Milland and Ed Begley star in a old style black and white that is a must see for any baseball fan.

kidcardco said...

Oooo... never saw it. You have my interest though.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see that movie too. And The Sandlot is one of my favorites.

pard1959 said...

Loved the list, Matt. I agree that all of these are keepers. Here's another one to watch if you haven't seen it yet: "Pride of the Yankees", which is the story of Lou Gehrig, the original Iron Man of baseball. All baseball fans need to watch it.

MajorLamont said...

Don't forget about A League of Their Own.

But then again, Matt, you're a big baby and well, frankly, there's no crying in baseball.

Kimber said...

The Natural, The Sandlot and Field of Dreams are 3 of my favorites!!!!