Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Jasper Mall Documentary Review



Remember when new movies were coming out each week and things like this no one even cared about seeing?

While bored eating lunch I found this interesting documentary said to be about the dying malls in America. Finding the subject interesting I decided to give it a try. What I found was.....interesting.... but in not the way you would expect. 

It all centers around a dying mall in the small town of Jasper, AL. I've never been there but I can relate to small towns with dying malls since Monroe has it's own here. 

As a documentary this movie is a "fail". It doesn't have a narrative, focal point or even a coherent structure. I really just think the guy knew the folks who ran the mall and got permission to do this film in some twisted plan to get people to come back to it and shop??

The story is everywhere and has no direction. One moment you're focused on a hair stylist who works there, then the next is a mixed couple who enjoy a night at the Jasper Fair....in the Mall parking lot. 

The couple have NOTHING to do with the mall, but I guess the director saw a mixed couple down south and went "Wow! I thought the South was full of racist?!"

However, I enjoyed the film. It's shot well and though it's 90 minutes of relatively nothing, I found that watching the characters who hang out, work for or what in a small dying mall worth spending an hour and half of my time watching. 

So if you're scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for something new to watch, look no further that this terrible documentary. At least you'll be entertained for a short while. 

No comments: