Saturday, October 01, 2016

This is what victory looks like



So last week, we beat LSU in what has got to be one of the craziest games of 2016. I was with Megan at the Fair for most of the game, enduring trash talking from Tiger fans thru multiple texts on my phone when the game was about to start.

Then they suddenly went quiet.

When I got home, I had a feeling I knew why and in-between watching the Mets game, would go back and check the score. But it was the final play that was the shocker.

LSU scored a last minute TD but the time had already run out before they could snap the ball. How much crazier can you get to a college football ending?!

It's not something for Auburn to really celebrate though. 1 second more on the clock and Gus would've been the one looking for work.

Auburn played awful. LSU played worse and that's what won us the game, but more shocking news came the next day when the Tiger announced they'd fired Les Miles.

A guy with a winning record, who's brought a National Title and countless other victories to the Valley. He averages 10 wins a season (sometimes more) I'd LOVE those odds! But it boiled down to one thing to the folks in Baton Rouge....he wasn't Saban.

And guess what folks? No one is. Love him or hate him, Saban's the best coach in college football. He's not infallible but he's pretty darn close at times and that's what makes it unfair for other teams to hold coaches to his standard.

I don't think LSU will get any better than Les. I don't see who will be able to bring in as many wins. In fact, I'm going to make a prediction and say LSU will churn through at least 2 more coaches within the next 5 years and still come up with nothing better to show.

Les on the other hand, will be right back in the coaching position the moment some big school has a disappointing season. Heck, if anything, I'd ask Auburn to bring him on for his incredible recruiting talent alone!!

But LSU took one in the nuts last week and didn't like it very much. Yeah, I get it. But how to I feel about Gus? We were supposed to be better this year remember? Not perfect, but better than the last.

I don't see that in this team yet at the same time, I don't see anyone out there better than Gus. And though I respect Les I wouldn't want him as my head coach either. Though if he were (sigh) at least it'd be entertaining to find out how many new ways he can make us lose.

And now I know how every LSU fan feels right now.

No comments: